List of agents monitored and policy for communication of changes in health status
We monitor for the same agents in all of our Production, Repository, Research and In Vivo Services barriers and isolators. However, exclusion policies and policies related to shipping and notification of customers differ depending on the facility (Production and Repository vs. Research vs. In Vivo Services) and on the barrier level as noted below.
ES = organism is excluded from the barrier; if detected, shipping is stopped and all customers are notified
N = organism is excluded from the barrier; if detected, efforts will be made to eliminate it and the finding will be noted on the health report for the room, but shipping will not be stopped and customers will not be notified
T = organism is tolerated; if detected, the finding will be noted on the health report, but no efforts will be made to eliminate it, shipping will not be stopped, and customers will not be notified
Any concern about agents for which we monitor, but do not stop shipments should be communicated to us in advance or at the time orders are placed (see below).
|Maine Production & Repository Barriers||Maine Research Barriers||California Production &|
|Ectromelia virus (agent causing mouse pox)||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES|
|GDVII (Theiler’s mouse encephalomyelitis) virus||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES|
|Hantaan virus (hantavirus)||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES|
|Lactic dehydrogenase elevating virus||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES|
|Lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LCMV)||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES|
|Mouse adenovirus (MAV)||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES|
|Mouse cytomegalovirus (MCMV)||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES|
|Mouse hepatitis virus (MHV)||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES|
|Mouse minute virus (MMV)||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES|
|Mouse norovirus (MNV)||ES||ES||ES||N||N||T||ES||ES#||ES#|
|Mouse parvovirus (MPV)||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES|
|Mouse thymic virus (MTV)||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES|
|Pneumonia virus of mice (PVM)||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES|
|Reovirus 3 (REO 3)||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES|
|Rotavirus (Epizootic diarrhea of infant mice [EDIM])||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES|
|Bacteria, Mycoplasma, and Fungi|
|Citrobacter rodentium (Citrobacter freundii 4280)||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES|
|Klebsiella pneumoniae||N, T†||N||T||N||T||T||T||T||T|
|Klebsiella spp. other than K. pneumoniae||N, T†||N||T||N||T||T||T||T||T|
|Parasites and Protozoa|
|Fleas, fur mites, lice||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES|
|Nonpathogenic protozoa (e.g., trichomonads)||N||N||T||N||T||T||N||T||T|
|Opportunistic protozoa (e.g., Giardia, Spironucleus)||ES||ES||ES||N||N||T||ES||T||T|
|Roundworms and other helminths||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES||ES|
# MNV is currently tolerated in one barrier room and certain isolators but mice brought in for new projects must be MNV negative.
† Klebsiella oxytoca is excluded from most Maximum barriers, but is currently tolerated in one such barrier (AX11).
* Pneumocystis murina is monitored only in severely immunodeficient mice, and only in rooms where severely immunodeficient mice are housed. All severely immunodeficient mice in our Production colonies are housed in Maximum barriers, and all Maximum barriers are monitored for P. murina.
** These organisms are excluded from severely immunodeficient mice and the In Vivo Immunodeficient vivarium
Notification of outbreaks and shipping policy
Actions taken for excluded agents (ES)
- Containment procedures will be initiated to effectively isolate the area where the agent was found from all other Jackson Laboratory animal areas and support facilities.
- Shipment of mice involved in the contamination (i.e., all mice housed in the animal room(s) where the contamination occurred) will be suspended immediately.
- Within 2 business days of definitive diagnosis, a notice will be placed on our Web site, and notifications will be sent by first class mail or by fax to all institutions on our general JAX® Mice mailing list. Institutions which received mice from the affected area(s) during the previous three months will receive additional notifications to the Purchasing Contact on record by first class mail or by fax as soon as possible.
- Any customer placing a new order for mice in the area affected by the contamination will be informed, at the time of order placement, of any shipping hold due to a contamination.
- The agent will be eliminated from the affected area by one or more of the following methods: depopulation followed by repopulation from another animal area or recovery from cryopreservation; depopulation followed by rederivation; or test and cull. The method used will depend on the microbial contaminant (infectivity and biological or environmental persistence) and on the degree of spread within the affected area.
- Following elimination of the contamination, the housing area will be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected prior to redeployment for animal housing.
Communications following a confirmed positive finding for an excluded (ES) agent
In the event of a confirmed positive finding for an excluded (ES) agent, the following communications activites will be conducted:
- A notice will be sent to the general JAX Mice mailing list and posted on our website for at least six months from the original date of the notice.
- As needed, we will post additional information or updates to the orginal notice on our website; in some cases, this information may be sent directly to the general JAX Mice mailing list, by mail, email, or fax.
Actions taken for non-tolerated agents (N)
If any of these organisms are detected the following procedures are followed:
- Positive results trigger a clinical investigation designed to eliminate all infected mice.
- Shipping from the area with confirmed positive results is not stopped. Information about the investigation and outcomes is shared with customers as indicated below.
- Customers who have notified Customer Service regarding concerns about a specific non-tolerated (N) organism will be notified at the time of ordering if an investigation is underway to eliminate this organism from a particular room.
- Positive results are reported on the next issued Animal Health Report for the room, along with a footnote describing the status of any ongoing investigations.
- Until the Animal Health Report is updated to show positive results, a notice containing details of the investigation and containment actions will be appended to the currently-posted on-line Animal Health Report.
Actions taken for tolerated agents (T)
If any of these organisms are found the following actions are taken:
- No special efforts will made to eliminate the agent
- Mice from the area will continue to be shipped.
- The presence of the agent will be reported on the Animal Health Status Report from the area.
Important: if there are concerns about agents that we include in the N or T categories and your institution will NOT accept animals with agents in these categories please inform us at the time of order placement.